Town Reservoir History

Mar 5, 2012 by

Town Reservoir History

The need for an uninterrupted supply of water for mining, agricultural and domestic use led to the establishment of the Mokelumne Hill Canal and Mining Company in November 1852.

By 1854 a reservoir for the storage of water had been constructed on the saddle between French and Sport Hills on the eastern edge of town. This view from above the reservoir overlooks the townsite, with the steeple of St. Thomas Aquinas Church and the Hotel Leger visible.

In 1973 the reservoir was abandoned, replaced by a water tank on Sport Hill. The reservoir was converted to Hobbs Field in the 1980s, with its southern and western walls leveled for the outfield. (Courtesy Mokelumne Hill History Society)

Related Posts


Share This